Celebrate Labor Day with your family and prepare these delectable recipes everyone will love! We have collected our top 3 Favorite Big Green Egg Recipes for labor day just for you! These recipes are perfect for family gatherings and are best done with a Big Green Egg Grill! No other grill offers this kind of versatility in cooking methods! While the recipes are delicious just as they are, why not make them your own by adding a few of your own special touches?
Start with the main dish. Pork Barbecue is an all-time favorite, and no Labor Day menu is complete without it!!
Recipe adapted from the National Pork Board. For more information, visit porkbeinspired.com.
2 pound pork loin roast, boneless
3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon horseradish, freshly grated (optional)
- Set EGG for indirect cooking (with convEGGtor) at 400°F/204°C.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place on EGG. Stir together the remaining ingredients and baste every 8-10 minutes with mixture, until roast is done about 30-40 minutes (20 minutes per pond), until internal temperature of roast is 145°F/63°C.
- Remove roast from the EGG; let rest about 10 minutes before slicing to serve. Discard any leftover basting mixture.
- Serves 4-6, with leftovers
How about Barbecue and Pizza in one? Yum!
1 lb pizza dough
4 oz chopped chicken
2 oz chopped ham
4 oz chopped pineapple
Your favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
The Method, According to Hop (John Driskell Hopkins)
- Fire up the EGG and get her hot! About 500-600°F/260-316°C indirect.
- Soak chicken breast in pineapple juice and BBQ sauce for an hour before throwing it on the EGG. Once it is done, chop off what is needed for the pie.
- Next, add the Pizza Stone, heat the stone before putting your pizza in the EGG. If you’re good at making your own pizza dough, then you’re good to go. If not you can get it from the grocery store and roll it out over a bed of finely ground corn meal so it doesn’t stick to the counter; you can choose between cornmeal or flour.
- Throw some corn meal on the hot stone in the EGG and place the dough on it, close the lid and cook the dough for about 2 minutes per side. This will make a crispier crust and will make it easier to handle with the ingredients on it.
- Remove the dough from the EGG and spread on the BBQ sauce. Now you’re ready for the ham, chicken, pineapple and cheese. If you want more chicken, add more chicken. If you want more cheese, add more cheese. It’s pizza, for crying out loud! Put the pie back into the EGG and cook it covered for 12-15 minutes or until properly browned.
Complete your menu with something sweet - a dessert!
Reprinted from Gastro Grilling: Fired-Up Recipes to Grill Great Everyday Meals(Pintail; March 26, 2014)
Recipe: © Ted Reader, 2013
For this recipe, you don’t have to go through all the trouble of baking a cheesecake — you can buy a small whole plain cheesecake or, if possible, a couple of slices instead.
What you need
4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter Nonstick cooking spray
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) honey
2 tsp (10 mL) dried lavender or 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh sage
2 oz (60 mL) Canadian Club Small Batch 1 tbsp (15 mL) white sugar
2 slices plain NY-style cheesecake (approx. 11⁄2 cups/375 mL) 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese, softened
8 small flour tortillas, 5 to 6 inches (12 to 15 cm) in diameter
- Set EGG for indirect cooking at 225°F/107°C.
- In Stir Fry/Paella Pan, combine honey and lavender and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature overnight. Strain and set aside for later drizzling.
- Cut apricots in half and remove pit. Drizzle apricots with whiskey and add sugar. Set aside. Set EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C.
- Grill the apricots, cut side down to start, for 3–5 minutes per side, until the flesh is tender and the skins are coming away from the flesh. Remove from EGG and peel skins from the hot flesh. Set aside to cool.
- Slice each apricot into four slices. Set aside.
- Remove cheesecake from the packaging. As best you can, separate the crumb crust from the cheesecake. Crumble the mixture. Set aside.
- Place the cheesecake into a bowl, add cream cheese and smash together with the back of a wooden spoon to make it spreadable.
- Lay a flour tortilla onto a flat work surface. Take the cookie cutter or a paring knife and cut a tortilla into a small round 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter so that you can make smaller dessert quesadillas. Repeat with remaining flour tortillas.
- Spread about 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) cheesecake and cream cheese mixture over the entire surface of a tortilla. Lay a couple of slices of apricots onto one half of the cheesecake-spread tortilla. Drizzle apricots with a little Lavender Honey. Fold tortilla over to form a half-moon shape. Press down on tortilla so that the filling sticks to the shell. Spray outside of quesadilla with nonstick cooking spray on both sides. Repeat with remaining flour tortillas. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Set EGG to direct cooking again at 400°F/204°C.
- Grill quesadillas on EGG for 2–3 minutes per side, until lightly charred and crisp (but not burned) and the cheesecake mixture is warm. Remove from EGG and rest for 2–3 minutes prior to cutting so that filling will set. After quesadillas have rested, cut each in half and serve with an extra drizzling of Lavender Honey.
- Makes 8 small quesadillas
There you go- you're all set for Labor Day! A word of warning though- you might want to make a little extra because these smells will have your neighbors drooling! For more outdoor living ideas and tips follow our blog.
ABOUT BURTON POOLS & SPA
For 37 years, Burton Pools & Spas has been the premier provider of swimming pools, hot tubs, and outdoor recreation equipment in Western Arkansas, Eastern Oklahoma, Southwest Missouri and just about everywhere in between. Burton Pools creates beautiful backyard environments that brings friends and families together for outdoor fun and memories that will last a lifetime.